This course describes the safety measures which must be taken to prevent the spillage of hazardous substances, and the steps to take to reduce the impact of any spillages which do occur.
- Introduction – (5 mins) – Introduces the COSHH Regulations and the duty on employers to conduct a risk assessment.
- Hazard & Risk – (5 mins) – Explains the meaning of the terms ‘hazard’ and ‘risk’.
- Worker Exposure – (5 mins) – Looks at the different ways in which workers can be exposed to hazardous substances, and explains the term ‘simple asphyxiant’.
- Hazard Labels – (5 mins) – Expains safety data sheets, introduces the CLP Regulation and the GHS, and describes a typical CLP label.
- Control Measures – (5 mins) – Examines a range of different control measures, and the relative effectiveness of using PPE.
- Preventing Spills – (10 mins) – Deals with the correct storage and handling of hazardous substances.
- Controlling Spills – (10 mins) – Describes the different types of absorbent, and how to deal with a spillage.
- Self Test – (5 mins) – 20 questions covering each of the previous modules.
Results are stored for later retrieval by training supervisors.
There is also a Scottish version of this course.
The average course completion time is 50 minutes.